Sunday, August 16, 2009

Appalachian Brewing Company- August 2009

Since it is August, Appalachian Brewing Company just released Kipona Fest and a group of my friends decided it was time for a visit. The Kipona Fest is an Octoberfest style Marzen, which is becoming one of my favorite styles of beer. The beer is a dark amber with a sweet and malty aroma. The taste is also sweet and it has a fresh hop finish. The after taste consists of a mild hop taste with a sweet malty undertone. The alcohol content is 5.2% ABV. I like this beer and the style and I think that ABC has nailed this style.

Appalachian Brewing Company supposedly retired the Major Hops Olde Ale, but it was available on draft when I was there. They also had a cask conditioned version of the beer, which is what I ordered. The beer is opaque and amber in color with a floral aroma. The beer is very smooth with a light taste. The after taste is where the hops kick in, but not too overpowering. There was a taste of grass hops that warmed the throat. The alcohol content is 7.0% ABV. I felt that this beer was best described as a roller coaster ride of beer. At first, the hops are minimal and calm. Then they pick up speed, but don't ruin the experience. Then at the end, they linger to let you down gently. If you have the chance to check out this beer, I highly suggest that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment