Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hoppin' Frog Hop Heathen

I received a bottle of Hoppin’ Frog Hop Heathen from Cleveland Food and Brews in a beer trade. The beer pours a black color with a thin frothy tan colored head that leaves a little bit of a lacing on the glass. The aroma consists of chocolate, dank, coffee, lemon, caramel, wood, tobacco sweetness, grapefruit, and maple syrup. Honestly, this is one of the best smelling beers I’ve ever had. The taste is smooth at first with some chocolate and caramel but bitters rather quickly with lemon, grapefruit, tangerine, and pepper. A touch of tobacco comes out in the finish with some woody and toasted malt flavors. The alcohol content is 8.8% ABV. I will say that I was more impressed with the aroma than the flavor, but that shouldn’t take anything away from the flavor. I was taken aghast by the aroma and would smell this all day. The taste took me on a rollercoaster ride of flavors and was a really well put together beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment