Monday, October 31, 2011

Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout

I felt fortunate to secure two bottles of Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout, one from Carson Street Deli and one from Smokin’s Joe’s, both in Pittsburgh and both for $35 per bottle. The beer pours a thick viscous liquid that is black in color with a finger-sized frothy tan head. The aroma consists of milk chocolate, maple syrup, sweet bourbon, vanilla, molasses, and coffee. The taste packs a chocolate punch right up front and hangs around for a while before the other flavors get their chance to shine. A slight toasted malt undertone and a dry coffee flavor come out first before sweet maple syrup coats the mouth. This coating is broken down with a dry bourbon flavor on the finish, and hints of vanilla linger in the after taste. The alcohol content is 10.6% ABV. I had a one ounce pour of this beer at Great American Beer Festival in 2010, and it is everything I remember it to be. The sweetness in this beer is spot on without being too sweet, and the bourbon and maple flavors come in to play at different times, but are very complimentary. Was it worth the price? I’d say yes, but I don’t know how many more bottles at $35 I would acquire. If I was dropping $18-20 per bottle, I would stock up on a few of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment