Sunday, February 15, 2009

Selin's Grove Brewing Company

A couple of friends and I took a road trip up US 11/15 to three breweries on Valentine's Day. It was a great day, and this post is the first of three, each one relating to one brewery. 


The first brewery on the trip was Selin's Grove Brewery, located in Selinsgrove, PA. It's pretty easy to find, right on Main Street, and is a very quaint little brew-pub. We did not eat there, but the food looked amazing, especially the bread used for the sandwiches. On to the beers:

Solstice Dubbel
The first beer I had was the Solstice Dubbel. This beer was well rounded. The spice that is added to the beer was soft, but very complementary of the beer. I really liked the darker color of the beer, but it was a light tasting beer.

Scottish Ale
The Scottish Ale was a decent light tasting beer, but I felt it was missing some flavor. It was still a good beer, but tasted more like it was from a mainstream brewer than a craft brewery.

Saint Fillian's Wee Heavy
I really liked this beer and how it was served out of a gravity tap. Since it comes from the gravity tap, it was served rather warm, which allows the drinker to experience the full flavor of the beer. It had a nice compliment of hops and definitely had a warming property about it.

Dunkle Weizen
I was looking forward to tasting this beer, but it did not live up to my expectations. It had a decent flavor, but it tasted a little empty, like one ingredient is missing.

Framboise
This is one of the better Framboises that I have tasted. It was very fruity and sweet. We all felt we could get in trouble with this drink as it tasted like juice.

Organic PILS
The pilsner was a very clean tasting beer with no after taste. This is a great beer for the warmer weather, as it is not filling and it is refreshing. I definitely recommend, especially to people who like lighter beers.

Shade Mountain Oatmeal Stout
The Oatmeal Stout was good tasting, but it was very similar to other stouts on the market. It's not that it wasn't an impressive beer, it just wasn't that memorable.

White Horse Porter
The White House Porter was an excellent tasting beer and full flavored.  Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the Porter, and I definitely recommend on your visit.

Mud Puppy Brown Ale
The Brown Ale was excellent. It is a lighter brown ale that does not have an over-powering hop flavor. I think was threw me off is that the brown ale drinks a lot like a porter, as it is smooth and a little thicker. I think this was the most impressive beer out of all of them.

I really recommend checking out Selin's Grove Brewing Company. It is a small town brewery with big tastes. I will be going back and definitely checking out the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment