Monday, May 23, 2011

Mikkeller Beer Geek Bacon

On a recent visit to TJ’s Restaurant & Drinkery, I ordered a glass of Mikkeller Beer Geek Bacon, or Rausch Geek Breakfast. It is known as the latter in the States due to the fact that it contains no actual bacon and the FDA will not permit the beer to be advertised that way. It’s flavors comes from the smoking of the malts, not by adding bacon. The beer pours a black color with a thick frothy tan head. The aroma consists of bacon, toasted malts, smoke, chocolate, and molasses. The taste is thick and heavy with plenty of chocolate flavor and lots of smoke. Toasted malts also appear up front before the bacon comes in on the finish with molasses. The after taste has a vanilla sweetness that removes the smoke from the mouth. The alcohol content is 7.5% ABV. The Beer Geek Bacon had a really good flavor without providing too much smoke or bacon flavors and I would definitely seek this beer out again.

1 comment:

  1. I think this would be a beer that I would "dig." That smokey bacon sounds very enticing. I will have to seek this out and give it a try for sure. I would think the molasses would balance that bacon very well. Plus, the thick, heavy mouthfeel is always a positive thing in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete