Thursday, November 11, 2010

Founders Backwoods Bastard

Al's of Hampden tweeted that they had four-packs of Founders Backwoods Bastard in stock, so I made the trip to get some. I previously have reviewed the Dirty Bastard, and this is the same beer aged in bourbon barrels. The beer pours a brown color with a foamy off-white colored head. The aroma consists of sweet caramel malts with raisin and oak accents. The alcohol also tingles the nostrils. The taste is sweet and smooth with a big bourbon and oak bite on the tongue. On the finish, some raisin and caramel peek through and the after taste is dry and tastes just like bourbon. The alcohol content is 10.2% ABV. The Dirty Bastard was a very enjoyable beer, but the Backwoods Bastard even topped that. I really enjoyed how the bourbon really played with the caramel and toffee in the beer without overpowering the flavor.

1 comment:

  1. I HAVE TO try this one... Founders is great
    Your description reminds me of Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S.

    ReplyDelete