Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kona Wailua Wheat

I picked up a six-pack of Kona Wailua Wheat in Ocean City while I was on vacation. If you are wondering, yes I poured this beer the proper way that a wheat beer should be poured: glass upside down on bottle, tilt, and pull bottle out of the glass ahead of the beer stream. The beer pours a golden color with a lofty and foamy head with lots of lacing on the glass. The aroma consists of wheat, orange, lemon, and passion fruit. The taste is sweet and smooth with a wheat flavor coming out at first, then turning to a passion fruit tartness that does not overwhelm. The finish again is sweet and has some butter and toasted cracker notes to it and is somewhat dry. The alcohol content is 5.4% ABV. I was recommended this beer by my coworker Mike, and he did not disappoint with his recommendation. The beer is light and refreshing for the summertime, yet complex and flavorful. If you can locate this beer, I recommend trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment